[Photo Credit: Zack Perl, The Bacyard Studio]
Like anything else, my makeup routine changes from year to year and season to season, but lately there have been a few tricks up my sleeve that I’m not yet ready to part with. As we enter summer, I’ve been really into pink and nude hues, as well as highlighters and shimmer. I’m all about creating a “glowy” look lately. Check out my go-to tips and tricks below.
- Do without the “cat-eye”– I have a secret! I haven’t used eyeliner in months. Hard to believe, right? Since I have really small eyes, I got in the habit of using liquid liner to elongate them by sporting a cat-eye look. Eventually, I started to realize my eyes actually looked a lot bigger when I stopped wearing liner altogether and started using natural looking false lashes instead (Tip: you can get a pair of lashes for as cheap at $3 at your nearest drugstore). If you want a more permanent solution and don’t mind making the investment, you can get lash extensions (I’ve been getting mine done at The Lash Loft and am obsessed, highly recommended).
- Save the smoky eye for the winter or nighttime – Now that I’m going for this “no liner” look, I also decided to tone it back on my eye shadow. I wasn’t a huge shadow person to begin with, but would apply more of a smoky look for a night out. However, let’s face it, smoky eyes are great from time to time, but they are way too harsh for an everyday look. I love lining my lids with shimmery nudes and tans. I’m most recently obsessed with my Charlotte Tilburry Luxury Palette in “The Golden Goddess” shade.
- Highlight your cheeks – I’ve gotten in the habit of apply highlighter or illuminator on the very top of my checkbones and up/around the edges of my eyes. By doing this, the goal is to emphasize your bone structure and get that glowy look.
- Go for a nude or pink lip – I’ve been opting for a nude lip-look since the winter, but now that the weather is warming up a bit, I’ve incorporated some pink into the mix (Tip: mix pink and nude lipsticks together for the best of both worlds and a soft pink look). My current favorites are:
I don’t know about you guys, but I’m getting pretty sick and tired of being pale and having the world’s driest skin. As someone who suffers from eczema in the winter months, I’m always looking for ways to rejuvenate my skin after months of the harsh weather.
With spring around the corner, I’m enjoying plenty of “me time” as I amp up my beauty routine and prep my skin for shorts and miniskirt weather. So what’s my secret?
I recently was sent some NuBotanik Skincare Body Scrub with Coffeeberry in the pear scent to try out and let me just tell you – I’m obsessed! The scrub contains a unique blend of natural active ingredients and is made with Coffeeberry, which is extracted from the whole coffee fruits, that is loaded with antioxidants and skin beneficial compounds. Whole coffee fruit has been shown to have one of the highest levels of antioxidants that our skin and body need to stay and look healthy.
I absolutely loved the smell and texture of this unique product that exfoliated, rejuvenated and nourished my skin. Fun tip: it’s supposed to help reduce the appearance of those stretchmarks and blemishes we all hate so much.
I’m so excited to keep using this product so my skin is glowing just in time for summer. What’s your skin secret?
The harsh conditions of the winter tend to leave lips chapped, making it tough to master a smooth lipstick look. The solution? Rid your lips of dead and dry skin with an exfoliating scrub. Instead of purchasing a pricey one, dabble in a little DIY and make one yourself with this easy, all-natural, homemade sugar exfoliating lip scrub.
You will need:
- 1 tbsp brown or white sugar (I used brown sugar)
- Enough honey/olive oil or coconut oil to make the sugar stick together (I used honey)
- 1 small container
- Mix ingredients together in a small bowl, adding honey/olive oil/coconut oil as needed
- With fingertips, rub the mixture onto your lips in a circular motion, loosening the dead skin and let sit for 30 seconds
- Using a damp washcloth, wipe off the mixture and apply chapstick of choice
- Wait 5 minutes and apply your favorite lip liner and lipstick look
For this look I used:
- Tom Ford Lipstick in Nude Vanille
- NYX Butter Gloss in Creme Brulee-Natural
- Mac Lip Liner in Chicory
When it’s the end of the week or the day after a night out, the last thing you want to do is power through an extensive beauty routine. However, you don’t want to compromise your appearance altogether. Try these quick-fix hairstyles to help you look all sorts of stylish on your sluggish day.
Half Up Top Knot: No matter the length of your hair, a half up top knot or what I like to call a ‘man-bun’ is always the answer. To get this look, divide the top of your hair from the bottom and create a small bun at the top of your crown. Secure your creation and you’re done! (via Treasuresandtravelsblog.com)
Loose Side Braid: Transform your bedhead into a trendy loose side braid with this quick & easy look. Start by dividing your hair into three sections, Dutch braid until you hit the end of your hair and secure. Pull out each loop to loosen the look and create a fuller vibe. (via BarefootBlonde.com)
Braided Bun: This sleek, up-do is both classy and comfortable. Secure your hair on top of your head and braid your pony tail into a three strand braid. Secure the end and wrap your braid around the base of your pony tail to form a bun. Secure with bobby pins and you’re all set! (via InspiredByThis.com)