It’s heating up outside, which means its time to swap your winter sweater dresses for summery threads. Personally, I’ve always found it challenging to dress for work in the summer since most dresses tend to be strappy or too revealing for the workplace. Of course, It’s important to stay cool, but you don’t want to run the risk of looking inappropriate in the workplace.
Below, find my rule of thumb for dressing for work and staying prepared during the summer months:
- If you could wear it to the beach, you shouldn’t wear it to the office
- Do you have a favorite open-back sundress? Throw a blazer or cardigan over it to hide the revealing parts during work hours
- Stick to loose, tunic-like dresses to keep things “easy breezy”
- Swap your flipflops for flats
- Do the “Raise Your Arms” test. If you throw your hands over your head and your butt pops out the bottom, it’s too short
- If you bend over and your butt pops out, it’s still too short
- Denim coats are your best friend this summer – layer them over anything strappy to make it appropriate
- City hack – wear compression shorts under your dress on windy days and avoid walking over subway vents unless you want to flash random pedestrians (I’m not kidding, this happens)
- Always carry blister cushions in your purse for when you’re breaking in new shoes (I’m obsessed with Compeed Blister Cushions)
- Invest in a great strapless bra – you don’t want straps hanging out
Now that we’ve covered the bases, shop some of my work-appropriate picks and must-haves below!